We understand that having your pet undergo surgery is not always an easy choice. Dr. Powell and Dr. Szumel has over a combined 25 years of experience in small animal surgery, including both routine procedures such as spays, neuters,and mass removals, as well as more extensive and complicated soft tissue and orthopedic surgeries. Our operating room is equipped with pulse oximetry, LED lighting, EKG, blood pressure monitoring, a Bluetooth controlled air heating unit, and electrocautery.
Any pet undergoing anesthesia at Blue Lake Animal Care Center is monitored by an experienced registered veterinary technician or assistant in our sterile surgical suite. They remain with the patient from beginning to end, including pre-op, surgery and recovery. They monitor vital signs and anesthesia, as well as administering any medications needed. At BLACC, pain control for your furry family is very important to both us, you, and your pet. Every surgical patient has pain controlled according to their needs.
We offer complete orthopedic and soft tissue surgical capabilities.
These services include:
- ACL repair – We offer extracapsular ACL repair for torn cruciates in eligible patients. This includes assessment and repair of damaged menisci, in addition to ACL repair. The extracapsular repair is often referred to as the “Tightrope” technique.
- Fracture repair – Blue Lake Animal Care Center is able to offer orthopedic plating, pinning, and wiring as appropriate for bone fracture repairs.
- Limb amputation – We offer limb amputation in cases of cancer or trauma if applicable.
- Stomach torsion(“Bloat”) – We can perform this life-saving surgery if your pet’s stomach twists and need correction.
- Spleen Removal/Rupture – We can remove your pets spleen if it ruptures or has a tumor.
- Mass removal – Blue Lake Animal Care Center can assist any mass/tumor removal, from the smallest and simplest, to the most advanced and technically challenging.
There are many other surgical services we offer…feel free to ask!